Position: Full time (42.5 hours/week)
Salary: dependent on level of experience
Start date: August 2018
A Bit About Hackney Arts Centre HAC is a 21st Century arts venue for East London started by the team behind Village Underground (villageunderground.co.uk). Renovations are underway, and the first season of programming has just been announced for this Autumn.
Once established, HAC will work with over 3,500 artists each year, collaborating on a programme of more than 1,000 performances across music, theatre and performance art, with lectures, talks and debates, comedy, performance poetry, dance and other cultural events.
At the heart of the building will be the café-restaurant and bar, the heart of the venue (the ‘kitchen at the house party’) – a social space for locals, visitors and artists, serving fantastic food by our chef Chris Gillard and impromptu music in the evenings and weekend.
The role The Restaurant Manager will actively participate in the development and success of this new venture. The post-holder will be responsible for creating and implementing systems, leading the Front of House team to deliver the highest levels of service and working with the rest of the team to ensure the financial sustainability of the business.
- To work with the team to ensure they understand the financial drivers of the business and can actively work with those drivers they can reasonably influence.
- To work with the directors to plan and agree a workable business strategy that defines key areas of accountability, which will allow us to deliver the overall business results.
- To work with the Financial Controller and the rest of the team to define and approve budgets for the operational aspects of the business.
- To develop with the team an operational, annual plan to deliver the agreed results. To ensure this is clearly understood the team and work with them to take ownership for their individual areas of accountability within the overall plan.
- To develop and maintain an environment and working culture that values the entire team’s contribution, motivates individuals to give of their best and encourage a stable, competent team who enjoy offering a premium level of service to our guests.
- To act as a role model for the team.
- To lead, manage and develop team members to develop their competencies and specifically their commercial, people and operational skills. To achieve this in-line with the company’s values.
- To select and/or recruit team members, ensuring that the people selected have the skills to appropriately develop in the role.
- To engage the team as a whole to ensure they are engaged in their own ongoing professional development.
- To manage performance of the team, rewarding success and proactively responding to under performance.
- To ensure appraisals are conducted annually.
- To develop an annual training plan for the business, defining skills needed and monitoring delivery.
To oversee the rostering of the Front Of House team.
- To develop and implement standard operating procedures (SOP).
- To ensure that the cash procedures and management of cash is fit for purpose and that monitoring is ongoing.
- To identify key statistical reporting and ensure these are used appropriately and effectively to drive the business results.
- To oversee stock control.
- Prior experience as a Restaurant Manager within high quality restaurants
- A deep understanding of P&L and experience working with financial targets
- Sommelier experience and/or qualification desirable (e.g. WSET)
- A real passion for and knowledge of food and beverage in the London and worldwide restaurant scene
- Working knowledge of food hygiene and health and safety requirements
- Ability to implement and maintain effective standardised systems, processes and controls
- Ability to make continuous improvements to administrative processes
- Ability to inspire, motivate, lead and develop teams
- An approachable and caring manner; someone who thrives on interacting with people
- Dedication to championing diversity and representation, with a shown ability to work with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for and experience in training, mentoring or support of young people and emerging talents
- Experience maintaining relationships with external agencies and suppliers
This list of tasks is not exhaustive and we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 20 July with the subject line: HAC Restaurant Manager